Tips from Kelsey Smith,owner of Plated Table
1. Talk to the farmers
– They can answer almost all of your produce questions, give you recipe ideas, and they are interested in you too!
2. Get breakfast
– Treat yourself. Really. Breakfast at the market is something I’ve looked forward to for years. There have been super cold Saturday mornings in past years where the only thing that got me out of bed was knowing I could go buy one of Bivi’s tamales and a hot coffee.
3. Explore more than just the veggies, meat, and eggs.
– The market has so many things made by farmers from their land. Hint: soap, coffee beans, dried herbs, pet milk, natural dyed woven clothing, and so much more.
4. Buy something you don’t recognize each week.
– Spice up that salad mix with some frisée, mizuna, escarole, and tatsoi.
All pictures were taken by Merrill Piston-Hatlen